Search This Blog

Thursday, April 22, 2010

Parisian Macarons

No, this Macarons is not the same as Macaroons with the shredded coconut ingredient. Although both of these are gluten free. Macarons are made of ground blanched almonds with the mixture of egg whites and confectioner sugar, compare it with the Macaroons that are made of shredded coconut and condensed milk. The two are both taste good in a different way.

I familiar with Macaroons I grew up eating it. Until I read from so many travel and food blogs in the net talked about it and that's how I learned about the Parisian's Macaron. Everybody says Macaron is to die for especially the ones in Lauderee, in Paris. I thought this is overrated. But you know how much I love sweets goodies food. I said to myself one day I'm gonna try it. Unfortunately this Macaron is can not be found in mostly local pastries bakery or restaurants in USA. There are only few pastries bakery making this in the country one is in NYC. Well, thanks to the food bloggers out there I somehow found a recipe to bake on my own. I stumbled upon at Martha Stewart website alas the recipe is up there. I had no doubt to try baking it in fact I was giddy and excited. It requires to have electric mixer to bake, and I have none. But that doesn't stopped me there instead I beaten the egg whites by using the whisk manually. I know it can be tiring but I don't care. I planned to make 3 flavors-- vanilla, almonds and espresso. Imagine I have to whisk the egg whites in 3 batches many times. I manage to baked the vanilla flavors almost perfect (see the photos above) I was so happy. Unfortunately my second flavor was unsuccessful. I think the egg whites whisking is the problem the icing didn't came out too thick. That's why the merengue cracked. I was disappointed. I stopped then. After all I had perfect ones. Those were enough for me. 

Therefore I conclude baking is not my kind of gig. Although I love to eat pastries that can't be denied but I'd rather to leave it up to the masters and buy some ready-to-eat at the bakery store instead.

As for the taste, it is SWEET. Its good. I have no idea if this can compare to the Parisian Macarons. Wish I tried the original first then so I  know the difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...