I've been watching so many good movies lately, I took the credit to my husband for that because he has such a great choice when it comes to pick a movie. Either actions, comedies, dramas, sci-fis, cartoons, or short films. He doesn't like my romantic movies (booooooo!!hehe) though. I don't blame him.
Anyhow, he made me watched this Johnny Depp 1993's movie "What's Eating Gilbert Grape" , and I LOVED it! Depp was, is, and will ever be a good actor, and so undeniably adorable. Juliette Lewis was in the movie too and so was Leonardo Di Carpio. I think this was Leo's second movies and was nominated as best supporting actor in many awards giving bodies including the Academy. He was very young in this movie. I think he was twelve or thirteen then. Very young. His acting ability here shows how good Leo was and until now. Portraying as an autistic is not easy but he nailed it! I think he deserves an award.
This movie is about Gilbert Grape played by Johnny Depp who lives his whole life in the small town called Endora where nothing much happens. He was the bread and butter of his family. Worked in a small local grocery store, taking care of his autistic brother and pretty much had a hard time to enjoy his private life.
Despite all the odd circumstances happened of his personal life and family. Gilbert Grape still wouldn't give up his own family and unselfishly put behind his personal wants. And that made me touched and cried. He only wanted for what's best of his family. One of the best scene when he said to his girl friend that "for mom, I wanted her to take aerobics class so she could lose her weight, and that people would not laugh at her anymore."
It's funny but true. In this time of age obese people like her would take diet pills right away. But that's not what the case in this movie. It is about family matters, love and happiness. At the end I realized that there is hope. That everything happens in our life has reasons.


No comments:
Post a Comment