Search This Blog

Monday, November 7, 2005

MATERIAL GIRL...

In a world where Gucci and Prada thing are considered dine necessities; jewelries are every girl best friend, the “material girl” phenomenon is anything but surprising. These days, almost everyone is one.
But I have to simply point my view on a “relation-ship” materialism context, means: gold digger.

Last November when I attend our high school reunion and so I meet with my classmate friends. Most of them I hadn’t seen or shared a real conversation with in a while. Much to my astonishment, one of them were seeing someone 20 more years older her senior. I’m not against really dating older men. I’m actually a firm believer in the “age doesn’t matter” cliché of love. I am, however, against her dating him for “practical” reasons.
He’s married- rich- businessman and can buy her anything she wants. I was astounded! I ask her if she loved him. Her cool response? No, but I think I can learn to. The worst of it was majority of my friends actually agreed with her. She explained that she couldn’t possibly be with someone who couldn’t afford to buy her expensive jewelry or a branded shoes, bags and clothes. I can’t help but wonder, is this what she dreamed of when she was little?

I'll admits, I'm a material girl myself. I’m often found looting the mall. I can not resist buying more bag or shoes even if I still have a lot in my closet. I most religiously slated on a absurdly quite expensive beauty products if only to ensure that I will ended get my beauty sleep every night. I buy stuff I don’t need- all this to satisfy my insatiable materialistic urges.
But I don’t and won’t choose my partner based on the size of his bank account. I refuse to stoop to that level of superficiality. I have my limits. I still want to marry the man I love. Although, I admit that it would be nice to be with a man who can buy me the world if he can’t, id love him just the same. The truth is, I know in my heart that while I am still something sans the material extravagances, without love, I am nothing. Love is something that never runs out, loses worth, or goes out style. It is something that gives you happiness that no amount of money can buy.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...